Moving to a different country is always exciting. Alas, it can also be a real drag. With packing, organizing transportation and looking for housing any relocation can turn into a hellish ordeal. Moving an office is usually even harder, especially if you are moving to a different country. Without experience, it will be extremely difficult to do it right. Luckily, if you follow our guide on how to move your office internationally, you’ll be able to have a safe and stress-free move.
Keep things organized
For such a large task such as relocating your business to another country, you’ll need to prepare well! The best way to do this is to have everything as well organized as possible. First, you’ll have to start planning early. Considering that your business relocation is rarely last minute, you’ll have plenty of time to plan it. Make a calendar of moving related activities you need to take care of before your moving day. This schedule should include:
- at least two days for packing – you’ll need plenty of time to pack all of your office equipment. Such sensitive packing should never be rushed.
- set dates for taking care of legal matters – if you want to successfully move your office internationally you’ll need to take care of all the paperwork well before your move
- set a date for your goodbye party – saying goodbye to your friends should definitely be on your moving calendar
- emergency numbers – keep emergency numbers for your destination country handy. Also, you should have the moving agency’s or shipping agency’s numbers written down. It’s important to have them in writing because a lot of things can go wrong during an international move. You may not be able to charge your phone or even use it in your destination country.
- the moving day – preferably marked in red paint on the calendar
Do your research
Try to get as much information as possible when you’re relocating your office internationally. First, research the companies you’re going to use for moving your things. Since this is not a local move, you probably won’t be able to be with your things all the time. So, you should research everything about the moving (or shipment) companies you’re planning to use. This way you’ll be sure that your possessions will be in good hands.
Next, research your new office. You’re probably not lucky enough to have your own property abroad which means you’ll be renting. So, when choosing the right real estate for your new office to be patient and thorough. You want the best combination of availability and cost. Make sure you check out multiple locations and that you actually go there before the moving day. This way you’ll make sure you get the correct impression of the properties (cause we all know how pictures online may not present the most truthful image). Apart from this, it will give you a chance to do some advertising or networking in the destination country. Never to early to start letting people know your business will be there
Lastly, research the country you’re moving to. Maybe there’s some business etiquette you’re not familiar with or some quaint custom which will make clients visit your office more or less. Anyway, since you’re starting a business in a new environment, you should get to know the rules of the land, so to say. This also means that you’ll need to have a good knowledge of the local laws. You don’t want to be doing something illegal by accident. Some of the most economically powerful cities in the world have some pretty specific laws, and you should be familiar with them.
Pack smart when you move your office internationally
What does it mean to pack smart? Well, it means that you organize your packing so it doesn’t bother your business or your family. If you have a home office, make sure that you pack everything before the office itself (we don’t want your business to suffer while you pack). If you’re not relocating your home office but a regular one, make sure you pack the things you rarely use first. Also, leave one computer or a sales terminal open until the moving day, so you can still accept clients even though you’re packing. Apart from this, you can save a lot of money if you find good quality boxes in Sudbury. Then you can use them later on, as well.
If you’re one of the lucky ones who can afford to close down their business while packing, we still got some good tips for you too! When you pack your office you’ll want to:
- secure all of your office equipment – turn everything off and make sure all the moving parts of your printers, scanner and other machines are taped down.
- pack cables in bags – a good idea to keep everything organized.
- label everything – and we do mean everything! Every baggy of cables, every box of pens and tape should be labeled! This will help you set up your new office when you’ve finally moved.
Call the pros
One of the easiest ways to move your office internationally without stress and risk. You can request the services of good international movers in Canada. If you’re worried about damage to your office or you’re unsure about the shipment companies, hiring professional movers is the best option. The relocation specialist will move your office internationally with no trouble and in almost no time. But the best part is, as soon as you’ve hired good movers, you work ends there. They’ll take care of all the rest.
Try to remain calm
At the end, when you move your office internationally, whether you choose to hire reputable movers Ontario or DIY, you’ll run into some issues. The worst thing is to let that put you down. Try to take the bad as you go along, and focus on the good times ahead.